Lifestyle: Stress decreases IVF success rates. Stress increases inflammation and promotes an autoimmune response all of which are detrimental to a successful IVF. Deep breathing has been proven to calm the nervous system and promote relaxation. Do something you love and that makes you laugh. These practices will increase endorphins and oxytocin, the happy hormones, which are all things involved in successful baby making.
Sperm health is strongly affected and influenced by optimal nutrition.
Diet: Consume nourishing foods that have a high vitamin and mineral content, no processed foods. Our body gets energy from the air we breathe and the food and water we consume. Consuming high quality, bioavailable multivitamins and minerals will provide your body with what it needs to produce healthy and fully mature follicles, a receptive uterine lining and good quality sperm. That’s right guys, you can help out too! Sperm health is strongly affected and influenced by optimal nutrition. (See our BioClinic Opti-ova and Mito-Motile kits).
Acupuncture: Frozen and Fresh IVF Cycles: 3 months of treatment for men and women prior to the IVF cycle is recommended. Follicles take 90-120 days to develop (folliculogenesis) and sperm an average of
- Your Period: Acupuncture will help ensure a complete shedding of the uterine lining and set the stage for a healthy and receptive endometrial re-growth.
- Follicular development: 2 sessions during days 4-11 will help ensure optimal blood flow/nutrient delivery to the developing follicles.
- Follicular Maturation: Days 11-14. Follicles are ready for collection. A treatment before egg collection, at trigger shot, will help complete maturation and loosen the follicles to facilitate a smooth retrieval to ease your discomfort.
- Post Retrieval: REST, get acupuncture to settle down tissue trauma and restore normal blood flow to the pelvis.
- Fresh Transfer: It is here where you will follow your acupuncturists guidelines for “The Transfer” (as seen below).
- Frozen Transfer: Weekly treatments until frozen embryo transfer will keep the nervous system calm and ensure optimal blood flow to the pelvis (enhanced nutrient end oxygen delivery)
- The Transfer: simply continue seeing your acupuncturist weekly to follow the phases of the menstrual cycle. Treatments before and after the transfer promote endometrial receptivity and embryo nourishment. Weekly acupuncture sessions until the positive pregnancy test and until 12 -14 weeks is optimal to reduce stress and the risk of miscarriage.
by Amanda Roth R.Ac/RMT